125 North Dr. Westborough, Massachusetts 01581 | Contract
The Model Maker/Prototype Machinist is responsible for prototype fabrication to support product development for the High Level Assembly operation. This includes bringing a product from idea/concept through design, prototyping, development, testing, design verification and validation, manufacturing, and product introduction.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prototyping: Use CNC and manual equipment including mills, lathes, and EDM for fabricating models, prototypes, fixtures, jigs, test parts, and low volume production of instruments.
- Supports in-house new product development by creating, fabricating and modifying machine components, developing manual assembly fixtures and prototype models according to engineering specifications.
- Constructs complex precision prototype components and models from raw stock materials to engineering specifications by operating various machining equipment such as vertical milling machines, lathes, surface grinders, saws and hand tools as well as various Computer Numeric Control (CNC) equipment.
- Verify conformance of finish work-piece to specifications, using measuring, and inspection tools as necessary.
- Ability to hold tolerances and confirm model specifications by verifying dimensions, clearances, and alignment of machine components with precision measuring equipment (micrometers, gauge blocks, dial indicators, etc.).
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, continuously improve, and learn new skills.
- Ability to access prints by means of company PLM, engineering drawings, and written/verbal work instructions.
- Utilize CAD/CAM and/or Solid Works software programs to produce prototype components from electronic drawings, 2D drawings, or verbal instructions.
- Create low complex CNC programs for the CNC Millers, CNC Lathes and Wire EDM machines.
- Participate in team modeling efforts to achieve prototype instruments and provide support to other department staff members. Recommend optimum manufacturing approach for prototypes.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer' s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; Work with manufacturer technicians to resolve issues.
- Maintain clean work environment by regular cleaning and upkeep. Assist with safety area audits as well as support manufacturing operations process improvement efforts.
- Adhere and carry out all activities in accordance with all applicable SOP' s and safety standards. Identifying and correcting conditions that affect employee safety; upholding safety standards.
- Keep and maintain a clean and orderly work environment while instituting the 5S principles of Lean Manufacturing.
- Complete any and all job functions, assignments and duties in a timely but safe manner.
- The ability to apply tool life management for determining premature tool wear for all necessary tools, inserts, etc. at the work center.
- Order parts and maintain required documents.
- Performs other work related duties as assigned.
- Assists and works closely with the Production, Process Engineering, Production Planning, Quality, HLA, and New Product Development organizations.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- High school graduate or GED required, technical degree preferred.
- Ability to set-up and operate CNC and conventional Lathes and Mills.
- Ability to read and interpret current engineering blueprints and production specifications.
- Ability to use precision measuring instruments and gages such as calipers and micrometers.
- Strong math skills and the ability to apply them.
- Minimum two years machinist experience.
- Ability to make decisions and stay quality focused.
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and members of the leadership team.
- Assist with training other operators.
- Ability to understand and follow work instructions, both written and oral.
- Ability to adapt to conditions as dictated by business requirements.
- Ability to work with others.
- Willingness to work overtime, if required.
- Must be able to work flexible hours.
- Knowledge, understanding and application of Lean Manufacturing tools, such as, 5S, Kanban Inventory, Visual Management, Waste elimination, and Root Cause Problem Solving are preferred.
- Be detailed oriented and have good interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Capable of working effectively in a team environment with co-workers and management within the organization.
- Personal computing skills required.
- Proficient English speaking, reading and writing skills are required.
- Able to lift 25lbs unassisted, stand for long periods of time, climb a ladder, ascend and descend stairs, excellent manual dexterity, able to gown to work in a clean-room.
Don' t feel you are the best fit for this job but know someone who is? Refer someone who is hired for this role (or ANY other) and we will offer you a referral bonus for helping us to keep our client happy.
Please be sure to sign up for email notifications when we post a new opening, or check back with http://jobs.techneeds.com to see our list of other openings.