Electrical Control and Test Engineer
Boxborough, MA 01719
Our client is seeking a mid-level Electrical Control and Test Engineer who is passionate about designing, testing, and qualifying motion systems! This individual will be responsible for the design and development of custom motion solutions for major customers in the US, Europe, and Asia. The ideal candidates possess a solid background in designing and testing digital and analog electronic control systems (not PLC’ s).
- Gather and analyze requirements, generate specifications, design architectures, and outline system interfaces through direct customer and company team communications to generate concept and cost models and assist with proposals.
- Define, architect, and lead the implementation of projects related to the precision motion systems, in addition to maintaining traceability matrices across requirements, design, and testing through the project development process.
- Lead design for quality reviews.
- Lead engineering development activities through the established project development process using best engineering practices such as FMEA and FRS (Fortive Reliability System) techniques.
- Develop and document analytical models of system behavior and interactions, and define a clear path towards effective utilization of modeling and simulation techniques.
- Select and size motion control components (motors, drives, and controls) for the design.
- Create and maintain system test protocols for design verification and validation.
- Ensure compliance of the new systems with design controls and all regulatory requirements such as CE, UL, RoHS, REACH, etc.
- Assemble and test rapid prototype new concepts and machines to mitigate technical risks on new development concepts.
- Multi-task several ongoing projects within different phases of the project development process.
- Testing new development projects to meet or exceed our customer’ s delivery and performance requirements (in adherence to final inspection reports) in a safe and efficient manner.
- Use multiple controller and drive products from internal and external suppliers such as Kollmorgen, Copley, Elmo, Delta Tau, Beckhoff, Arcus, Galil and PMD to set-up and run tests.
- Characterize mechanical properties of motion axes such as flatness, straightness, pitch, and yaw.
- Generate automated tests for measuring stage accuracy and repeatability using laser interferometer hardware, laser software, LabVIEW, MatLab, and other software.
- Perform motion profile tuning and testing to quantify step and settle and velocity stability performance with appropriate payload and configuration utilizing standard tools such as motion timing plots, and bode plots and accelerometers.
- Develop Test programs that include code written in LabVIEW, MatLab, or controls software that integrates mechanical systems, electrical hardware, and I/O testing.
- Experience in precision motion design, preferably for precision manufacturing and medical applications.
- Create and manage project documentation (Altium, AutoCAD or schematic tool), including: electrical schematics, interconnect drawings, component selection, software development, Bill of Materials (BOM), processing engineering change requests and orders (ECR/ECO), and installation and operating instructions.
- Solid knowledge of electrical engineering and physics including mathematics, troubleshooting, and precision metrology systems including linear and rotary motion systems.
- Ability to develop projects in a fast-paced and multi-disciplinary environment.
- Possess customer-focused mentality and strong technical leadership capabilities.
- Perform field installation of prototype systems and train customer resources on the operation of the equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and problem solve.
- Demonstrated ability to write well and communicate clearly with all cross-functional team members.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Ability to adapt to a fast pace and dynamic environment.
- A demonstrated background in successful problem solving.
- 5+ years’ experience of experience in coordinating and managing the design phases of technical engineering projects in the design of motion engineering projects.
- Systems level design experience.
- Prior experience in using CAD software (AutoCAD, Altium) to generate various levels of electrical documentation.
- Ability to perform engineering mathematical analysis (MathCAD, LabVIEW or MatLab).
- Theoretical and practical understanding of basic analog and digital servo control theory.
- Experience with motion controls, drives, encoders, power supplies.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience with circuit design, signal routing, and PCB layout.
- Multi-discipline engineering knowledge.
- Prior working experience in the Life Sciences and Diagnostics instrumentation space.
- Regulatory compliance experience
- Experience with Elmo, Kollmorgen, Delta Tau, Galil, PMD or Beckhoff motion controllers and drives
- Programming test scripts and software in LabVIEW, MatLab, TwinCAT, or C/C++
- Testing of PID Control Servo Systems
- Measurement and testing of precision positioning systems
Education: (List of required Education, Certifications, and Training)
- Bachelor’ s Degree in Electrical or Control Systems Engineering is required (Master’ s Preferred).
Don' t feel you are the best fit for this job but know someone who is? Refer someone who is hired for this role (or ANY other) and we will offer you a referral bonus for helping us to keep our client happy.
Please be sure to sign up for email notifications when we post a new opening, or check back with http://jobs.techneeds.com to see our list of other openings.