Sr. Packaging Engineer
Marlborough, Massachusetts | Direct Hire
This position will work closely with a cross-functional global team, especially R&D, Creative and Marketing across all company locations. You will be responsible for overseeing global structural packaging development, testing, and implementation of company products.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
- Responsible for overseeing structural packaging development for all domestic and some global packaging projects managing testing, and implementation as needed
- Work closely with a cross-functional global team, especially R&D, Creative and Marketing across all regions. Maintain alignment and collaboration with business stakeholders, leveraging their experience and connections to suppliers, to assist with packaging solution efforts
- Create internal packaging structure designs for corrugate, folding board cartons and interiors as well as plastic clamshells and blister packs. Use best practices to achieve most efficient design to realize all functions and features
- Responsible for managing domestic testing related to packaging such as transportation, drop, stacking, vibration, compression testing, etc.
- Assess the current packaging structure process and identify areas to improve
- Continuous assessment and improvement of packaging design structure on existing products.
- Investigation and understanding of competitive package structure designs. Is familiar with how products travel through supply chain and impact on packaging design and testing
- Review and maintain HoT packaging structure design guidelines, specifications, acceptance criteria and test methods
- Work with Creative team to integrate structure and artwork into finished packaging. Provide recommendations on material to use for intended packaging
- Perform feasibility assessment and cost estimation on above related works. Identify cost reduction solutions and quality improvement opportunities
- Lead packaging structure design reviews and testing verification. Support and assist product reviews as needed
- Create packaging related documentation and data sheets as needed
- Interface with China Sourcing and Packaging teams to insure clear communication with vendors
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Ensure packaging structures meet all customer and regulatory requirements for materials and testing
EDUCATION OR EQUIVALENT REQUIRED
- 4-year degree in Packaging Engineering, Engineering or Industrial or Design related field.
- 10 or more years’ structural packaging design related experience\
This position is ideally suited for an individual who has demonstrated success in a similar role as well as working in a fast-paced environment.
- Must possess 3D CAD skills necessary for Packaging design. Be well versed in all the 3D conversions between most popular 3D software. Creo / ArtiosCAD / CAPE / TOPS a plus
- Have a solid understanding and background working with plastic and paper based material
- Ability to prepare some packaging prototypes and perform or manage testing based on design needs. Ability to manage multiple projects and remain flexible and adaptable
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with cross functional teams and communicate concise, accurate status updates on projects
- Working experience of appliance or consumer packaging for electrical CPG hard goods products is a plus
- Experience in designing and specifying cartons, interiors, temporary displays, molded pulp, bags, clamshells, blisters, pallets, etc.
- Troubleshoot issues that arise from package development
- Able to work autonomously with limited direction
- Working knowledge of trailer, shipping container, and pallet loading, ASTM and ISTA package testing standards
- Strong understanding of Consumer/User experience and Sustainability as related to Packaging
- Excellent project management skills required
Don' t feel you are the best fit for this job but know someone who is? Refer someone who is hired for this role (or ANY other) and we will offer you a referral bonus for helping us to keep our client happy.
Please be sure to sign up for email notifications when we post a new opening, or check back with http://jobs.techneeds.com to see our list of other openings.